Friday, June 5, 2009

WTF?! Are You Serious?! (Season 1. Episode 2)

I am now a part of the "it" generation.

Or as I like to call it, the "I" generation.

What does this mean? It means that I can update my blog, format my iPod, and check on my bank account while sitting on the toilet (I like to call it iDump). It's a wonderful feeling of freedom to know that anywhere I go, I can be in constant communication with the outside world.

Ok, there's a bit of sarcasm there.....

The problem lies in the details of Mass Media Communication. No one disagrees that the internet is a wonderful idea, complete with millions of gigabytes of information right at your fingertips. Nobody disputes the usefulness of cell phones either. These devices allow us to keep constant tabs on one another and keep everybody in constant communication. This, in theory, sounds like a wonderful idea. However, we now face a different problem than any other generation has had to deal with. This problem arises with the thought of privacy, and how much anybody has anymore. Think about it. Everyday we are constantly barraged by countless texts saying anything from; "Hey, how are you? lol :)" to "Where are you? What are you doing right now?" Sure, these sound like nice, thoughtful questions, but what happened to the days that people were able to just fade out for a little bit? People (guys) like to relax for some afternoons and play video games by themselves in their underwear with a bag of Cheetos hanging off their inner thigh, only to be now interrupted by the intrusion of the ringing cellphone. (Ironically, as I type this, my cell phone is now ringing.) (Thanks Aaron, I will check out the band Kiss, Kiss).

I probably sound like an old coot sitting on my porch with a shotgun yelling at kids for their new darned technology, but I miss the old days when I didn't have to worry about having a constant chatter with everybody. As mass communication increases with the inclusion of internet .. phones and iPods, thinner and lighter computers, and video chatting; I feel as though the institution of actual face to face communication has diminished. I can't remember the last time I chose to call somebody when I could just text them, or more embarrassingly send them a Myspace message. I am fearful for the next generation and how much their social skills will lack because of our diminishing social patterns.

That's all I have for now, I'm outtie 9000. Peace.

Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment